Savory Salad Recipes – these are sure to become some of your favorite recipes for delicious, savory salads. Try Cornbread Salad, Chinese Chicken Salad, Curry Rice Salad with Shrimp, and more.
Som Tum (Green Papaya Salad)
Print this out and impress everyone with your worldly cooking skills. Som Tum done right!
- 10 oz. green papaya
- 5 cloves garlic chopped
- 4-6 bird’s eye chilies
- 4 cherry tomatoes halved
- 3 oz. long beans cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 - 4 Tbsp. roasted peanuts
- 2 Tbsp. dried shrimp optional
- 2 Tbsp. fish sauce
- 2 Tbsp. palm sugar grated if purchased as a whole piece (can substitute sugar)
- 3 Tbsp. lime juice
- To garnish: 1 cup shredded red cabbage, fresh bean sprouts, and ½ cup long beans, cut into 1-inch pieces
Peel papaya. Cut flesh into a fine julienne. Discard seeds. Reserve.
With a mortar and pestle, pound chilies and garlic together to form a chunky paste.
Add peanuts, dried shrimp, tomatoes, and beans. Mix to incorporate.
Add fish sauce, palm sugar, and lime juice.
Add shredded papaya, fold it in.
Put on a serving platter and garnish with red cabbage, fresh bean sprouts and long beans.
Recipe courtesy of Chef Chris Koetke
Note: For vegetarian som tum, omit the dried shrimp and substitute soy sauce for fish sauce.
Curry Rice Salad with Shrimp
This salad featuring shrimp is perfect for summer as a side dish or an entree!
- 1 10 ounce package frozen peas do not cook
- 1 1/2 cups cooked rice
- 1 8 ounce can shrimp
- 1 1/2 cups celery chopped
- 1/4 cup green onion chopped
- 1/2 cup salad oil
- 1 tablespoon soya sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon MSG
- 1/2 teaspoon white sugar
Mix salad ingredients together.
Shake all dressing ingredients together and combine with salad mixture.
Courtesy of Food.com
Chinese Chicken Salad
A crispy and healthy Chinese salad!
- 4 tablespoons vinegar
- 4 tablespoons white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon MSG
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken more or less as you prefer
- 1 head lettuce
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- mandarin oranges as garnish optional
Mix the first 5 ingredients well.
Refrigerate for 10 minutes.
In a large bowl mix chicken and lettuce.
Saute the almonds in butter.
Add almonds to the chicken and lettuce.
Pour the vinegar mixture over the salad and mix well.
Courtesy of Food.com
Kale and Celery Tiger Salad
Healthy greens, spicy dressing. A perfect complement to a rich main course!
- 2 red or green Thai chiles lightly smashed
- 2 garlic cloves lightly smashed
- ½ cup fresh lime juice
- ⅓ cup fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons palm sugar or light brown sugar
- 1 medium bunch kale ribs and stems removed, leaves thinly sliced
- 2 celery stalks thinly sliced on a diagonal
- 1 bunch small scallions thinly sliced on a diagonal
- ¾ cup cilantro leaves with tender stems fresh, with tender stems
- ¾ cup mint leaves fresh
- ½ cup Thai or sweet basil leaves fresh
- ½ cup unsalted roasted sunflower seeds and/or pumpkin seeds
- MSG (umami seasoning) optional, for serving
- chili oil optional, for serving
- 1 package chickpeas or crispy chickpea noodles
Whisk chiles, garlic, lime juice, fish sauce, palm sugar, and 2 Tbsp. water in a large bowl. Let sit 5 minutes; remove chiles and garlic.
Add kale, celery, scallions, cilantro, mint, and basil to dressing and toss to coat (salad should be very heavily dressed).
Serve salad topped with sev and MSG and chili oil.
Dressing can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill. Bring to room temperature before using.
Courtesy of Bon Appétit
photo credit: By Cajsa Lilliehook (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0), via Wikimedia Commons
“Skinny” Chicken Salad Recipe
- 1 13 oz. can of cooked chicken breast rotisserie chicken works well also, shredded
- 1 cup green grapes halved
- ½ cup cashew halves/pieces
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- ½ cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon Ac’cent® flavor enhancer
Shred the canned chicken into a large bowl, using a fork.
Add the grapes, cashews, dried cranberries, Greek yogurt and Ac’cent. Mix until combined.
Serve over lettuce or as a lettuce wrap.
Recipe courtesy of DessertNowDinnerLater.com
photo credit: http://recipes.wikia.com/wiki/Recipes_Wiki
- 1 pkg. cornbread mix
- 6 slices crisp fried bacon crumbled
- 5 fresh onions chopped
- 1 medium bell pepper chopped
- 3 medium fresh tomatoes diced
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- Season with salt, pepper, and Accent® Flavor Enhancer
Bake cornbread. Cool and crumble and place in large bowl. Add in onions, bell pepper, diced tomatoes, and bacon. Stir until well combined. Season with salt, pepper, and Accent.
Add mayonnaise to salad and stir until fully mixed. (You can always add a little more mayo if you want the salad to be moister.) Cover and refrigerate at least two hours before serving. Garnish with some canned corn (drained).
Optional: add whole corn kernels, sprinkled on top or mixed into the salad.
Recipe courtesy of Cooks.com
And be sure to check out some of these Savory Summer Salad Recipes.
Plus, More Delicious Savory Foods & Umami Recipes: