This umami-rich seasonal salad is a tasty favorite on a hot summer or fall day when cooking is not an option. The richness of the flavors of the ripe tomatoes, shaved parmesan and basil make for a unique flavor combination.
aka Tomato, Parmesan and Bread Salad
- 1-1/4 pound large ripe red tomatoes
- sea salt optional
- 5 ounces Italian bread
- 1/3 cup red onion thinly sliced
- 6-7 basil leaves plus extra for garnish chopped
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Parmesan cheese not grated, shaved slices
- fresh black pepper
Roughly chop the tomatoes into 3/4-inch pieces and put them in a non-metallic bowl. Sprinkle with sea salt (if desired) and allow them to sit for an hour.
Tear the bread into rough bite-size chunks.
Squash the tomatoes with your hands, discard liquid and then toss with bread, onion, basil, vinegar and olive oil. Season with pepper and salt (if desired) to taste. Garnish top with extra basil leaves.
Serve with generous portion of parmesan cheese shavings over top. Best served immediately.
More Delicious Savory Foods & Umami Recipes: