This is a great snack that can be made well in advance of the holidays. Of course, no holiday is ever complete without a savory snack mix to balance out all the sweets! The MSG provides More Savory Goodness. This spicy version of the popular (Chex®) cereal-based snack recipe should earn you five-star reviews!
Spicy Savory Snack Mix
- 1/2 package bite-size corn square cereal 14 oz.
- 1/2 package crispy rice cereal squares 14 oz.
- 1/2 package bite-size wheat square cereal 14 oz.
- 1/2 box toasted oat cereal rings 8.9 oz.
- 1-1/2 cups salted mixed nuts
- 1/2 package mini pretzel twists 15 oz.
- 1 package fish-shaped snack crackers 6 oz.
- 1/2 package sesame snack sticks 12 oz., optional
- 1/2 cup warm liquid bacon drippings
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter melted
- 2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbsp. MSG
- 1 Tbsp. liquid smoke flavoring
- 1-1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp. seasoned salt
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 tsp. hot pepper sauce
Preheat oven to 250 degrees F.
Gently mix corn, rice, and wheat squares, oat rings, mixed nuts, mini pretzels, fish-shaped crackers and sesame snacks in a large roasting pan (e.g., 13x24-inch aluminum roasting pan), taking care not to break cereal.
Stir bacon drippings, unsalted butter, Worcestershire sauce, MSG, liquid smoke, cayenne pepper, seasoned salt, chili powder, garlic powder, and hot pepper sauce together in a microwave-safe bowl. Cook on high in microwave oven for 3 or 4 30-second intervals, stirring each time, until mixture is warm, liquid, and fully combined.
Stir seasoning sauce continuously as you pour half over the cereal mixture. Gently stir the snack mix and seasoning sauce with a slotted spoon until thoroughly coated; do not crush cereal.
Bake in the preheated oven until sauce is completely absorbed and the snack mix is crisp, about 2 hours; stir gently every 15 minutes. Cool completely and store in airtight containers. May be prepared in advance and stored in the freezer using airtight freezer bags.
Recipe courtesy of Allrecipes.com
Find more delicious, savory recipes in the MSGdish Savory Cuisine Corner.