Rich porcini broth and nutty Parmigiano-Reggiano add deep umami taste to this vegetarian lasagna. Plain white button mushrooms will work in place of cremini -myrecipes.com.This is one of our favorite umami recipes.
If you love mushrooms, you will enjoy this recipe!
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 oz. dried porcini mushrooms
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil divided
- 1 1/4 cups chopped shallots about 4
- 1 8-oz. package presliced cremini mushrooms
- 1 4-oz. package presliced exotic mushroom blend
- 1 tsp. salt divided
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper divided
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. chopped fresh thyme
- 6 garlic cloves minced and divided
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/3 cup 1/3-less-fat cream cheese
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh chives divided
- 3 cups 2% reduced-fat milk divided
- 1.1 oz. all-purpose flour about 1/4 cup
- cooking spray
- 9 no-boil lasagna noodles
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
Preheat oven to 350° F.
Combine 1 cup boiling water and porcini. Cover and let stand 30 minutes; strain mixture through a cheesecloth-lined sieve over a bowl, reserving liquid and mushrooms.
Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 Tbsp. oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add shallots to pan; sauté 3 minutes. Add cremini and exotic mushrooms, 1/2 tsp. salt, and 1/4 tsp. pepper; sauté 6 minutes or until mushrooms are browned. Add thyme and 3 garlic cloves; sauté 1 minute. Stir in wine; bring to a boil. Cook 1 minute or until liquid almost evaporates, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Remove from heat; stir in cream cheese and 1 Tbsp. chives. Add reserved porcini mushrooms.
Heat a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add remaining 1 Tbsp. oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add remaining 3 garlic cloves to pan; sauté 30 seconds. Add the reserved porcini liquid, 2 3/4 cups milk, remaining 1/2 tsp. salt, and remaining 1/4 tsp. pepper; bring to a boil. Combine remaining 1/4 cup milk and flour in a small bowl; stir with a whisk. Add flour mixture to milk mixture, and simmer 2 minutes or until slightly thick, stirring constantly with a whisk.
Spoon 1/2 cup sauce into an 11 x 7-inch glass or ceramic baking dish coated with cooking spray, and top with 3 noodles. Spread half of mushroom mixture over noodles. Repeat layers, ending with remaining sauce. Sprinkle cheese over top. Bake at 350°F for 45 minutes or until golden. Top with remaining 1 Tbsp. chopped chives.
Recipe courtesy of Myrecipes.com