A round up of savory dinner recipes to help you decide what to eat tonight. Try one (or more!) of these starters, entrees and side dishes for a delicious umami-rich meal.
Ah, the old “What do you want for dinner?” “I don’t know. What do you want?” It’s a classic exchange between couples. And you answer it one night, only for it to pop back up the next. Fear not! This recipe roundup will help you decide what’s for dinner. And the options are all savory and delicious!
These starters can be used in a variety of ways. Some, like the Sriracha Stuffed Mushrooms, Chilled Cucumber Soup, and Tomato, Cucumber, and Fresh Herb Salad can double as side dishes. Others would be great hors d’oeuvres at parties. Personally, I’m excited about trying the Miso-Tofu Ranch Dip with wings at an upcoming game tailgate. I also look forward to elevating my guacamole with the interesting additions suggested in the Mediterranean Umami Guacamole recipe.
- Sriracha Stuffed Mushrooms (umami source: mushrooms, MSG)
- Chilled Cucumber Soup (umami source: MSG)
- Mediterranean Umami Guacamole (umami source: pepperoni, Parmesan cheese, MSG)
- Tomato, Cucumber, and Fresh Herb Salad (umami source: MSG)
- Crab Rangoon (umami source: soy sauce, MSG)
- Miso-Tofu Ranch Dip (umami source: miso)
- Lettuce Cups with Stir-Fried Chicken (umami source: soy sauce)
Sheet pan dinners are my go-to for quick and easy dinners, so I love the Sheet Pan Salmon recipe below. Several of the other recipes like the Veggie-Loaded Whole Wheat Pasta Bake and Garlic Shrimp Over Sauteed Spinach are quick and easy, and would be great for a time-crunched weeknight. All of the recipes below are fairly straightforward and would be a great way to mix up your current dinner routine.
- Sweet and Spicy Turkey Meatballs (umami source: MSG, soy sauce)
- Easy Holiday Roast Beef (umami source: beef, MSG)
- Beef and Vegetable Stir Fry with Umami (umami source: beef, MSG, soy sauce)
- Special Fried Rice (umami source: soy sauce, fish sauce, MSG)
- Vegan Lentil Sloppy Joes (umami source: tomatoes, MSG)
- Easy Italian Wedding Soup (umami source: beef, pecorino romano, Worcestershire sauce, MSG)
- Garlic and Dill Sheet Pan Salmon with Butternut Squash and Asparagus (umami source: MSG, asparagus)
- Vegetarian Ramen (umami source: soy sauce, mushrooms)
- Garlic Shrimp Over Sauteed Spinach (umami source: shrimp, MSG)
- Veggie-Loaded Whole Wheat Pasta Bake (umami source: tomatoes, MSG)
- Cauliflower Fried Rice (umami source: pork, carrots, MSG)
Savory Side Dishes
These savory side dishes will break up the monotony of canned vegetables. The Miso Roasted Brussels Sprouts are a particular favorite of mine. Hopefully this list of recipes will help you see that adding umami to vegetables makes them delicious.
- Roasted Vegetables (umami source: carrots, green onion, MSG)
- Simple Savory Quinoa (umami source: MSG)
- Peach, Bacon & Bourbon BBQ Sauce (umami source: soy sauce, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, bacon)
- Vegan Mac and Cheese (umami source: MSG)
- Miso Roasted Brussels Sprouts (umami source: miso, soy sauce)
- Soy-Glazed Shiitake Mushrooms (umami source: mushrooms, soy sauce)
- Green Beans with Miso Butter (umami source: miso)
- Shaved Asparagus with Parmesan Vinaigrette (umami source: asparagus, Parmesan cheese)
Hopefully, these simple savory recipes have guided your dinner decisions. Use the Comments section below to let us know your favorites!